2020-2021 Executive Summary
The 2020-21 academic year saw a number of important contributions and new initiatives punctuated by the reality of the COVID-19 global pandemic. Despite the broad learning challenges, stress and anxiety, and self-regulation struggles experienced by our students, the following accomplishments reflect the incredible commitment of the REACH team in serving our undergraduates and espousing the tenets and initiatives inherent in student success:
- Demonstrated three years in a row that we have closed the achievement gap between students of color and Caucasian students through our GEN 103 and 104 intervention math courses
- Continued cohort analyses, which demonstrate that students utilizing REACH tutoring have statistically significant differences in terms of cumulative GPA, retention rates, and graduation rates compared to non-users
- Launched a new peer academic coaching program to provide critical academic skills instruction and campus referrals
- Selected as 1 of 10 learning centers nationwide to serve as a beta testing partner for virtual reality (VR) tutoring by Tutor Matching Service
- Generated over $2M in tuition revenue for A&S via our intervention course instruction
- Served 55.7% of the 2020 cohort through tutoring services
- Provided 52,649.7 hours of academic support and instruction; a 36.2% decrease from 2019-20AY (82,535 hours, which was the highest ever offered by REACH)
- Students utilizing REACH tutoring 6+ hours had an average cumulative GPA of 3.4 compared to only a 2.5 for those who did not utilize tutoring services (p.9, Figure 5)
- Overall, students who utilized REACH tutoring and services in 2020-21AY had a pass rate (A, B, or C) of 80.1% and a comprehensive pass rate (A, B, C, or D) of 85%.
- Achieved a 75% pass rate (18 of 24) among Brown Forman Engineering Academy in their first Engineering math class (5th year supporting at-risk Engineering students)
- 87.9% of all BFEA participants (109 of 124) historically passed their first Engineering mathematics course
- Achieved a 88% pass rate among Calculus Preview Program participants in their first Engineering math class (12th straight year of success)
- Provided 1,153 academic workshop hours to undergraduates (+85.2% over 2019-20AY)
Despite the impact of the global pandemic, the critical academic support and retention initiatives offered by REACH are positively impacting students’ course grades, cumulative GPA, retention rates, and graduation rates. Year after year, students who take full advantage of REACH significantly outperform non-users. Furthermore, these services are proving invaluable in helping us meet the university’s 21st Century Initiative and contributing to the university’s performance-based funding model.
Lastly, this report provides a targeted look at our services and the data that helps define the impact we are having on students’ success (comprehensive data on any of our programs will be provided upon request). We welcome any questions you might have about this report or the services we provide.
REACH Annual Reports
SACS Outcome Assessment Reports
REACH Participant/Non-Participant Analyses
Aggregated searches by course/subject, sex, ethnicity, Pell grant status, semester/year, and ABC/ABCD grades