REACH Ambassador Positions
REACH Ambassadors Peer Mentoring Program
Note: The mentor application process for the 2015-16 academic year will begin February 2nd.
Who Are the REACH Ambassadors?
The REACH Ambassadors are peer mentors who help first year students connect and succeed at the University of Louisville. Ambassadors are second-year students trained and certified to mentor first-year and transfer students enrolled at the University of Louisville. Their job is to help students negotiate the transition to the UofL community by providing support, leadership and advice and helping new students connect to the university faculty, staff and services
The Role of the REACH Ambassadors
- To help first year students connect and transition to university life
- To help first year students develop leadership skills and take on leadership opportunities
We do this by:
- Providing students with support, leadership and advice
- Connecting students to campus, fellow students, campus events & resources and leadership opportunities
- Contact and respond to all mentees each week
- Work 3 office hours each week
- Attend all required Ambassador events including but not limited to: select Welcome Week events, leadership events, socials, retention events, collaborative events, service-learning events and end of the year banquet
- Attend bi-monthly 1 hour Ambassador meetings
- Plan and conduct 2 service-learning events with fellow Ambassadors
- Attend REACH training sessions before the start of the fall and spring semesters
What Populations Do REACH Ambassadors Serve?
Mentees may be full-time first year students in degree status, regardless of college, major, ethnicity or academic status.
Benefits of Serving as a REACH Ambassador:
- Practice leadership through service as a mentor
- Develop leadership, communication and interpersonal skills
- Increase recording keeping skills
- Develop soft skills including: critical thinking, networking, professionalism and teamwork
- Attend program events with notable UofL figures such as President Ramsey, Provost Willinghanz, the SGA President and more
- Earn a salary of up to $500 per semester
- Receive priority registration
- Receive volunteer opportunities
- Receive free food and t-shirts
- Be an important part of UofL’s commitment to improving the retention of UofL students
Who Can Apply To Be An Ambassador?
REACH Ambassadors are primarily comprised of students who have satisfactorily completed the Freshmen LEAD Program, but the position is open to other students as well. In order to apply, you must:
- Be a full-time student who has earned at least 24 credit hours by the start of the program in the fall semester
- Demonstrate leadership potential
- Want to develop your leadership, communication and interpersonal skills
- Be mature, dependable, motivated, committed, and enjoy being a role model
- Have approximately 4-6 hours a week to work
- Be able to attend all program events and pre-semester training
- Have a GPA of 2.5 or above
- Be committed to UofL and the success of its students!
How Do I Apply To Be A REACH Ambassador?
REACH is currently not accepting application for 2015-2016 Ambassadors.